Top 10 Local Food Gifts for the Holidays
The season of giving is upon us, and what better way to engage in the spirit of reciprocity than share the abundance of Washington State’s incredible food and farming communities? After all, these businesses give so much to us all – whether it’s the food we eat, the flowers we delight in, or the resources that help the whole system keep growing. We’ve rounded up our top ten local food gift ideas, but this is just a starting point! Plenty of these gifts are perfect stocking stuffers, as well. Check out eatlocalfirst.org for even more creative gifting ideas for the holiday season.
- Gift cards to your foodie friend’s favorite market – Okay, it’s not the most exciting gift to unwrap, but local markets are packed with incredible products for your loved ones to enjoy. Whether it’s a small-town grocer or a community co-op, this gift is sure to delight. Check out this link for markets near you.
- Local grains – Got a buddy who loves to bake and/or is addicted to the Great British Baking Show? We recommend giving the gift of local grains. Not only do they support local farms, but they also make amaaaazing goodies – and maybe you’ll get to try their creations! Some of our favorites include Fairhaven Mill, Cairnspring Mills, Finnriver Farm/Grainery, Nash’s Organic Produce, Shepherd’s Grain, and Bluebird Grain Farms. Check out eatlocalfirst.org for even more.
- Tea! — When the weather outside is frightful, a cup of tea is even more delightful, and luckily Washington State is full of delicious local tea companies for you to support. Might we recommend Aditi Chai, Flying Bird Botanicals, Goodness Tea Farm, or San Juan Island Tea Farm? Of course, there are many more on eatlocalfirst.org!
- Honey – Got a sweetie? Get them something sweet! And there’s nothing sweeter than local honey. Support local pollinators, support local farmers, and let your loved one know how sweet you think they are 😉. This gift pairs well with Gift #3, too! We love Marie’s Bees, Rainy Day Bees, Sequim Bee Farm, and Miss Bee Haven Apiary.
- Wreaths and flowers – Decorate locally! Wreaths and flowers are beautiful and seasonal gifts for those who love making their spaces feel extra special. And there are so many options, including Free Range Flowers, Lee’s Fresh Produce, Okanogan Highlands Lavender Farm, Sky Island Farm, Sweet Alyssum Farm, and The Wreath Works.
- Restaurant Gift Card – Treat your friends and family to a meal at their favorite local restaurant. Not only are you investing money into your local economy, you’re also giving your loved one an experience they won’t forget. After all, there are so many creative chefs and delicious local meals to be had in Washington – find restaurants here.
- Festive Fiber – For your crafty compadres, there’s so much beautiful local yarn to be gifted! We recommend, Deer Mountain Alpacas, Local Color Farm and Fiber, and Lydia’s Flock for all your gifting needs.
- Local Beer, Wine, Cider, and Non-Alcoholic Beverages – There are SO MANY incredible local drinks to gift this holiday season. Whether your friends are beer drinkers or kombucha aficionados or anywhere in between, there’s something for everyone. Got a loved one who’s always experimenting with cocktails or mocktails?! There’s a shrub for that! Some of our favorite beer, wine, cider, and N/A bevvies are Aslan Brewing Co., Badger Mountain Vineyard, Elsom Cellars, Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Garden Path Fermentation, Klickitat Canyon & Columbia Gorge Winery, Lopez Island Vineyards & Winery, Madrone Cellars, Rockridge Orchards, Stringtown Cellars, Wander Brewing, Komadre Kombucha, Iggy’s Alive & Cultured, Shrub Farm, and Simple Goodness Farm. We told you there were so many!
We hope this list inspires you to give the gift of local food this holiday season! Check out our holiday guides for even more inspiration.