Blue Heron Farm
Owned & operated by a woman
A third-party certification identifying products free of chemical pesticides & fertilizers, hormones and preventative antibiotics.
Eat Local First Member
These businesses are committed to sourcing more of their food from local farms and food producers.
- 12179 Washington 530
- Rockport, WA 98283
We have been farming organically since 1979. Our mission is to take care of the soil, farm with respect to the limitations of our farm, grow the best tasting and nutritionally dense food we possibly can, and to treat our employees with the utmost respect and appreciation for the work they do. We rely on cover crops and compost. We practice balancing the micro nutrients in our soil to ensure plant vigor, disease resistance and nutritious food. We have transitioned our vegetable crops to a former employee, (super exciting) and offer fruit shares thru Long Hearing Farm CSA in Darrington WA.
I believe strongly in being Certified Organic. The rules require constant evaluation and improvement of farm practices. I pay close attention to balancing micro-nutrients which is critical for vigorous healthy plants, assuring the best nutritional value, fruit quality and capacity to resist insects and disease.. We test plant leaves to determine how well the plants are absorbing nutrients. We look for ways to reduce tillage and I have been able to mow my winter cover crops to encourage clover in the aisles that provides year round cover crops to increase carbon sequestration. We now rake and till our blueberries just once a year after harvest to control mummy berry and fruit flies, our most difficult challenges for organic production.. We are exploring using bees to carry beneficial microbes to the blueberry flowers to prevent mummy berry, a serious and difficult to manage fungus in blueberries.
- Fruit | Berries
- Local Resources
- Community Garden
- Food Education
- Additional Products
- Delicious and Fresh Bamboo Shoots in May, hardy bamboo nursery plants and a wide variety of sizes of bamboo poles for all your gardening and fencing projects.
Open to the Public
Hours of Operation
- Seasonal, please call for you pick.
- Monday - Friday, Sundays: 8 am - 5 pm
- If you are wanting to u-pic, we recommend picking during the cool part of the day. Hot temperatures are hard on berries, especially raspberries. I deliver to Mt Vernon twice a week and am happy to meet people to save them the drive upriver. But, the Upper Valley is a beautiful place to visit and The Rockport State Park has excellent trails and picnic tables in the shade as a place to spend a little time after a morning's picking.
Consumer Sales Methods
- CSA/Farm Share
- Farmers Markets
- Phone Orders
- Accepts Personal Checks
- Cash Only
- Neighborhood Drop Points
- On Farm Pick-up
- Picnic Area
Find us at these Farmers Markets
- Currently Accepting Signups: Yes
- Type/Contents: Fruit
- Seasons: Summer
- Box Size(s)/Frequency: 2 pints of berries (raspberries and/or blueberries) for 6 weeks from early to mid July till mid August. Available on farm or with Long Hearing Farm CSA drop points.
- Cost: $60 for 6 weeks of berries
- Drop-off Locations: North Cascades National Park, Marblemount, Darrington, Sedro Woolley, Blue Heron Farm, Rockport
- Workplace Drop-off?: Yes
- Other Specifics: After 40 years of growing mixed vegetables I have joyfully turned over my CSA and vegetable growing to Elizabeth Bragg of Long Hearing Farm. We are now focusing on the berries and figs and offer you pick, we pick, weekly shares and bulk purchases. Pick up arrangements are either at our farm in Rockport in Eastern Skagit Valley or at pick up locations for Long Hearing Farm CSA in Eastern Stillaguamish and Eastern Skagit Valleys.
- Counties: Skagit
We can provide blueberries for limited wholesale marketing- through the month of August depending on the weather
We have been selling produce through the Skagit Valley Coop in Mt Vernon for nearly 30 years. We also sell some of our Jersey Heritage blueberries to Bow Hill Blueberries for their processing.
July - August
- Direct Delivery
- Pick Up
- Counties: Skagit
- By Appointment
- Wednesdays, Saturdays
Carries Liability Insurance
Food Safety Practices & Licences
- Food safety plan
Farm to School & Hunger Relief
- YES! I want to supply schools and childcare centers
Offers Educational Experiences
- Student field trips & farm tours
- Visiting a school cafeteria, classroom, or childcare center